Tuesday, January 5, 2010

and the mountains call my name

Well, I'm settling in (finally) to my new home here in Chattanooga...and yesterday...I felt the call. Every once in a while I get this urge (I think I got this from my grandfather...who loved to take the scenic route when driving somewhere) to go for a drive.
So I set off...to find some scenic over looks. Ended up driving north out of Hixson, TN towards Dunlap, TN. In search for the road that runs atop Signal Mountain. ...and I wasn't disappointed. In fact, found a place that is now on my list of "gonna canoe that" rivers too. The Sequatchie river. ...anyway... It was snowing a bit...the leaves were long fallen off the trees...and it was peaceful...and you could see for miles. I'd forgotten what happens in mountainous areas when it gets cold like this...water tends to run off the rock walls that line the roads...and because it was so cold, was frozen in these beautiful cascades of ice.
Yes, even cold can be beautiful. ...and eventually, I found the peace I was looking for...it was simply in the quiet still that was with me all along. Funny how sometimes I need nature to remind me of that.

3 comments:

  1. You inspire me to make my next big move. Love the stories and the personal reflection. I need more of that in my life. Thanks for providing perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've done this. It's fun to get to know this Rachel Dickson person. I smile when I think about you. -- EK

    ReplyDelete
  3. hurray for smiles and inspiration! who knew...that I was capable of such...cheers.

    ReplyDelete