Saturday, September 7, 2024

Countless life lessons as a river guide.

 


Every day has been something knew guiding whitewater inflatable kayak trips down the Green River this summer. Each trip brought new people to a section of river I was growing more and more familiar with.
 
I learned the sections that were the most problematic. Where people were more likely to fall out of their boats. So in that I learned to coach guests as to how best navigate these rough spots.
But not everyone listened. Some...for whatever reason opted to just let things happen versus being proactive and paddling their boats in ways that aligned with my coaching. And then the adventure unfolded in the way it does.
 
One guest after having been flipped out of his boat after I was yelling at him to paddle forward so as to avoid being pushed into what's known as the Saluda Stuffer rock...he said...I didn't paddle hard enough did I?
 
After this...I tell folks now...don't hold back. Don't hold anything in reserve when it comes to paddling hard to avoid an obstacle. Because it's easier to paddle your hardest and then let up later versus not paddling hard enough and it's now too late and you get dumped.
 
The river teaches so many things. I love it for this. I love getting to kayak on mountain river waters that are always changing and ebbing and flowing.
Life is a ride. And if we have a guide...follow the knowledge. Then adapt and go with the flow as best you can.
 
It's no big deal if you get dumped out of your boat. The real test is how quickly can you collect yourself and get back in it? And then learn from that experience for the next challenge that is just ahead.
Nature...what a great teacher. I learn something new every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment