Wednesday, October 2, 2024

10/2/24 Lucky and Blessed

(please note that all communications were down (no cell service, no internet, no landlines) here in western NC beginning Thursday night Sept 26th and coming back online a little bit more each day leading up to this post when internet access was available again)

Hello all!

The most recent update from where I sit.

My oh my the aide and supplies and help that’s coming into the Western North Carolina region is mind-blowing. From the first helicopter I saw circling the Brevard, NC area...I got goose bumps because I knew help was arriving. Yesterday a chinook, an osprey, two blackhawks and a sikorsky (I think it was a superhawk) were flying over Brevard and the surrounding areas.

Gas lines at the nearby stations are organized and moving rather quickly compared to a few days ago. The station that I went to yesterday was limiting purchases to $20 per vehicle which I think is very fair and reasonable. I only waited in line 30 minutes. No big deal. There are no gas shortages here...just things take longer when cash only purchases available. (think you can’t just pull up to the pump, put in your card, pump gas, depart. But rather, park, walk in to the gas station, wait in line in side, pay, walk back out to your car, pump gas, then leave. Takes much longer per vehicle. But hey...we have all the time in the world here right now. Where we gonna go other than to check on our neighbors?)

Grocery lines vary depending upon where you go. Many are still cash only but here in Brevard, Aldi is accepting cash and credit card (not debit).

There are many churches and fire departments offering free bottled water and other various supplies. Hot meals are being provided for free by many locations...also mostly churches and fire departments, some businesses and restaurants also are chipping in. There are shower stations within the area as well while power is still not restored everywhere.

For myself? Well, I am extremely lucky and blessed! I am currently staying at an airbnb here in Brevard, NC where I now have power, water and internet. INCREDIBLE in lue of all that’s happened here. This is a very unique situation I’ve found myself in (as it is with thousands of others)...because I moved out of my home in Hendersonville, NC on Monday of last week (Sept 23) with the plan of staying here in Brevard to prepare for the scheduled TedxBrevard event to be held at the Porter Center at Brevard College on Saturday, Sept 28th. By Wednesday of last week (Sept 25) here came Hurricane Helene bearing down on us. The leadership team of TedxBrevard made the decision to postpone the event for Sept 28 until a TBA date in the future. (Thank goodness for that decision!) Meanwhile, after Sept 28th I was scheduled to move into a rental in Saluda beginning today. Well...my how plans change and evolve. I have not been able to travel to Saluda to see what the state of the town is or what the condition of the rental property is. I do know that the town of Saluda doesn’t currently have power or water therefore no internet access either. My job with Green River Adventures was seasonal to begin with so I knew I would be seeking new employment. But now after seeing images and videos of the damage done in the Green River Cove area this is evidence that whitewater kayaking on the Green River might not be possible in any kind of commercial way well into 2026.

Where this leaves me is...a holding pattern. Much like most everyone here. I’ve asked the airbnb owners if I can extend my stay to which they’ve agreed for now until October 23rd. I don’t know if I’ll be able to move into the place in Saluda or if I need to seek housing elsewhere.

In the mean time...my sister Brenda has set up a Zelle account through my mom in Ohio to take donations towards my staying here in Brevard (this was all set up when there was no cell or internet service here...hence the routing).

If you are seeking ways to help. This is certainly one way.

You can send a donation to this housing need.

Zelle to normad@gmx.com.

Recipient name: Norma Dickson

For: Rachel

My sister said she has heard from several people that were getting errors when they were trying to send funds by Zelle through this account. So if you receive an “unable to process transaction” message you can resolve it by calling your bank to explain that this isn’t fraudulent so they can fix it and can send through.

Meanwhile I’ve been doing what I can here to coordinate and channel help efforts on the ground with those of you from out of state who are so desperately wanting to help.
One of the benefits of having internet now where I’m staying is that this morning I was able to coordinate with someone organizing helicopter supply air lifts out of Greenville, SC to wherever help is needed. Hopefully after this mornings coordinations, an air drop will be delivered to the Green River Cove area very soon!
THIS is why each little thing, each seemingly little effort goes such a LONG way!

Please don’t dismay. Please be patient as coordination is taking some time.
This is a long-haul effort. Not a sprint.

Thank you to all who have read this entire post. It means you truly care what’s happening here.

Thank you also to those of you who can give towards a place for me and my 2 pups to stay here in Brevard!

Stay tuned for more updates.

Onward and upward.



No comments:

Post a Comment