Monday, April 21, 2014

there is absoLUTEly nothing that compares to....

watching talented (oh so talented) people collaborate and create something that seems to simply pour out of a place beyond themselves as if they are channeling something beautiful. Whether this be an artist creating a painting, a dancer following the rhythm, or musicians playing and singing to something beyond the tune.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about...



In a world where we are constantly bombarded by sensory input (smartphones, texting, facebook, snapchat, news media, and all other various sources of noise) I worry about not being able to just sit quietly and watch the birds soar overhead without "need" of anything. Just to be present, in the moment.

I know I've missed many fascinating details of moments that came across my path because I was distracted by something that was truly meaningless...in so much that the outside world told me it was important (such as to watch the Superbowl).

This is why I like to stand in the chicken barn and just watch the chickens interact with one another and with their surroundings...for in doing so I hope to not lose my ability to be still and soak in the details of the present moment.

I also find myself more and more simply standing with a cup of coffee in my hand and looking out the window into the backyard in the hopes that I might spot some wildlife out there that I'd not noticed before. Because this past winter with all the snow we had, it was pretty obvious to see just how much wildlife exists around us here for all the hundreds of deer tracks surrounding the house.  How could I miss them? How did I not see these deer with my own eye? There were literally feet from the back door of the house and I had no idea they were there. And now...I find myself more vigilant in being aware of my surroundings a little bit more. For this is life. I want to experience this presence. 

Imagine!



No comments:

Post a Comment