A strange phenomenon occurred to me this past week while I was pet sitting in the city.
I felt like I was in a foreign land.
No really...it was very strange...but I’m so glad this was all revealed to me so I knew how I needed to respond. It never occurred to me that the wild (the forest, rivers and mountains) has become a home signature vibration to me (a very comfortable place...easy for me to engage with) until I found myself in the urban jungle.
I felt out of sorts...like there was a void I couldn’t explain. So what does one outdoors person do when they find themselves in the city? Well, ya go to Outdoors World (Bass Pro), REI and Academy Sports all in one fell swoop.
Yes, yes...I know I wrote about this in a previous post. But here’s what’s so interesting about this.
My friends who I was pet sitting for were in Alaska. And they shared w me a story about arriving in Anchorage after traveling all over in the wilderness and how out of sorts they felt being in this city.
I immediately knew the feeling. And I’m not kidding when I say...after your body had been exposed to nature’s magic and silence and calm and sheer beauty and acceptance and will power and awe...when you find yourself surrounded by its opposite it is nothing short than off putting.
Ask anyone who has ever thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. They’ll tell you the same thing about having to re-acclimate back into “civil life” again.
When I walked into that REI coop store and looked to my left...on the wall was a HUGE black and white image of Looking Glass Rock in Pisgah Forest. (It’s important to note...this was in SC...a hot minute away from Pisgah).
But let me tell you something...the warmth and familiarity that flowed over me while viewing this mural...brought me a rush of calm and the feelings of “home.” I know this place! I’ve stood on this very rock in Pisgah where this photo was taken.
So no...you’re not crazy at all if you absolutely HAVE to walk in the forest every day. Or if you HAVE to go to the river a minimum of a couple times a week. Or if hiking to waterfalls and sitting there staring at them brings you an enormous amount of joy.
Nature is medicine my friends. Your body already knows this.
Get outside as often as if possible.
Turn off the noise and listen to the stillness that will surround you out there. Even if just for a few hours. And it will change you.
Namaste my outdoors friends!
Namaste.

No comments:
Post a Comment